[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Looking for Hanke origins

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 19 20:25:21 PST 2003

At 04:57 PM 19/12/2003 -0800, Pfeifer's wrote:
>Unfortunately listed as his "place of hailing" on both lists is Gufermint,
>Poland. "Gufermint??"... I'm thinking he misunderstood the question the
>nametaker was asking and answered instead a question like "why are you
>leaving?". He answers "I'm leaving because of the government". Could that
>be the case or was there actually a village named Gufermint somewhere in
>Russian Poland?

I have seen many different "creative" place name spellings over the years
but this one tops the list.  Your explanation sounds as good as
any.  However, these people would usually be travelling with some form of
paper work, passport, etc. so it would not always be an issue of
misunderstanding the question.

I tried the "sounds like" feature at ShtetlSeeker which is very good at
giving a great range of options but came up totally blank.  Assuming that
you have transliterated the script correctly, I can find no good matches
for anything like that.  If the writing is at all questionable, I'd be
happy to look at a scan to confirm your suggestion or to offer something
else.  If you want to send the scan, please include as much of the page as
possible so that I can compare the writing to other words.

*Please Note NEW Email Address*
My old one will be phased out early in the new year.
Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca