[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: TRAIN LIST FOR TRIP TO SIBERIA

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Sat Feb 15 20:02:09 PST 2003

Justin,

When I read your question, the only person whom I know of that might know
whether such lists exist came right to mind.  It is Eric Lohr at Harvard,
whose book on the Russian treatment of "enemy aliens" during WW I is due to
come out in April.  So I sent your question to him and he immediately
responded with the note below.  I'm afraid there's no easy way to find what
you're looking for, but, if you're willing to work at it, it might be
possible.  Where these archives that he mentions are located and how you get
at them is something I don't know, but it could be found out.  "MVD" refers
to the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Here's what Mr. Lohr said:
>As for lists of individuals deported, I did not see such lists.  They would
be
> difficult to find, but if you know the exact location, the best place to
> look may be in the MVD archives for the region, since police often
gathered
> up the Germans before deportation.  The army was involved in all the
> operations, but it is a huge practical problem to find out which
divisions,
> regiments, units were in a given area at the time of deportation.  The
> Russian Militiary Historical Archive does research of this type for a fee,
> but it would be a risky and likely several hundred dollar venture. But if
> Justin would like, he could contact the archive.  It would probably only
be
> possible if he knows the exact location and approximate date of the
> deportation.

I'm confident that we could ask Mr. Lohr for more precise directions to
archives, so please let me know.

Dick Benert