[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] PLOCK AREA

Greg Mason gwmason at erols.com
Thu Jan 2 12:00:22 PST 2003

on 1/2/03 9:01 AM, Jerry Frank at jkfrank at shaw.ca wrote:

> The 'c' at the end of a Polish word carries a 'ts' sound so your Liepovets
> is almost certainly the same as Lipowiec.
>
> The bad news is that there are at least 16 Lipowiec in Poland and none are
> particularly close to Plock.  Two of them are known to have German
> settlers.  One of those is 6 km due W of Lipno (about 52 km NW of Plock)
> and the other 12 km SW of Ciechanow (about 62 km ENE of Plock).
>
> Rakaw is probably Rakow but again there are 10 in Poland with none near
> Plock (though you didn't say it should be).  One of these near the south
> side of old Warsaw city (variant spelling Rokow and within city limits of
> the modern city) is known to have had German settlers.
>
> I don't know that any of these villages had Moravian connections as
> suggested by others for the Freiheit surname.  However, it is not a
> particularly common surname so you should not rule it out.
>
> Although all your surnames (with KAROW and KARO as variants of your KAROH)
> appear in the SGGEE databases, I don't see any for those specific
> villages.  Also, the fact that we only have 2 Lipowiec and 1 Rakow with
> German settlers at the present time should not, without further evidence,
> preclude you from considering other locations with the same or similar
> names.  Though we have most villages in our list, we continue to add others
> on a regular basis.
>
> Do you have any other family data that might help with pinning down the
> location?
>

> At 12:50 PM 01/01/2003 -0800, JUSTIN L DINGMAN wrote:
>> I'm new to the list and now writing my first of many questions.
>>
>> Names that I'm tracing: FREIHEIT, WITT, LIPKE, KAROH
>>
>> Does anyone know of these family names? They lived in places called
>> Liepovets, spelling by what its sounded like.  This was the Freiheit
>> line.  The Witt line had a farm in Lipowiec and also a Julian Freiheit
>> had a farm there also, which was supposed to have been the Freiheit
>> family property.   My Great-grandfather also said his father had three
>> farms, and said that the largest nearby city was Plock.  Another family
>> (KAROH) lived in Rakav according German Records of Birth, which were
>> taken during the time German Nazi were in charge.
>>
>> Does anyone have pictures of these areas, that are willing to share?
>>
>> TIMELINE PERIOD:  1795 TO 1890.
>>
>> Thanking you kindly for any assistance you can give me on these matters.
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>> JUSTIN L DINGMAN
>> 3rd Generation in USA

Jerry and Justin:  Re your comments about "> The bad news is that there are
at least 16 Lipowiec in Poland and none are
> particularly close to Plock.  Two of them are known to have German
> settlers.  One of those is 6 km due W of Lipno (about 52 km NW of Plock)"
I have frequently seen people refer to the area around Lipno as "Plock"  I
have even seen return addresses for mail from towns in the vicinity of Lipno
with a Plock post office address.  Apparently at one time (perhaps in the
1910s to 1930s) the county of Lipno carried a Plock address.  Hence the
village 6 km w of Lipno may very well be properly referred to as Plock,
depending upon the time frame of the reference.  Hope this helps.  Greg
Mason