[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] PLOCK AREA

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 2 06:01:50 PST 2003

The 'c' at the end of a Polish word carries a 'ts' sound so your Liepovets
is almost certainly the same as Lipowiec.

The bad news is that there are at least 16 Lipowiec in Poland and none are
particularly close to Plock.  Two of them are known to have German
settlers.  One of those is 6 km due W of Lipno (about 52 km NW of Plock)
and the other 12 km SW of Ciechanow (about 62 km ENE of Plock).

Rakaw is probably Rakow but again there are 10 in Poland with none near
Plock (though you didn't say it should be).  One of these near the south
side of old Warsaw city (variant spelling Rokow and within city limits of
the modern city) is known to have had German settlers.

I don't know that any of these villages had Moravian connections as
suggested by others for the Freiheit surname.  However, it is not a
particularly common surname so you should not rule it out.

Although all your surnames (with KAROW and KARO as variants of your KAROH)
appear in the SGGEE databases, I don't see any for those specific
villages.  Also, the fact that we only have 2 Lipowiec and 1 Rakow with
German settlers at the present time should not, without further evidence,
preclude you from considering other locations with the same or similar
names.  Though we have most villages in our list, we continue to add others
on a regular basis.

Do you have any other family data that might help with pinning down the
location?