[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place name

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 8 08:23:29 PST 2003

Without seeing the original, I can say that it is almost certain that the
place name is Zdunska Wola.  A Z is often written with a dash through it to
help differentiate it from a 2.  It may look like a Y because of bad
handwriting.

Church records up to 1885 are available on microfilm through the
LDS.  Complete extractions of these films can be found on the SGGEE
website.  An index of the available film numbers is also at the website if
you want to see the originals.  Original records for the Rozyszcze Parish
after 1885 (not microfilmed) are located in the Warsaw Archives.

At 12:44 PM 07/01/2003 -0700, Chris Matchinski wrote:
>Anyone-
>I am looking for the town in which my husband's grandmother was born. I have a
>copy of her confirmation paper which lists the town. I have been unable to
>read the 1st letter. The rest of the word is -dunskawolle. The first letter
>looks like a capital Y with a line going through the long portion of the Y (
>-|-). Is it possible that this might be Zdunska Wola which is located SE of
>Lodz? Are there Lutheran records for that area? (She was confirmed in a church
>in Marinkow, Rozyszcze parish, Volhynia.)
>Thanks.
>Chris Matchinski

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca