Fw: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reasons for migration; Was Re: the lost guard

bfand bfand at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 8 01:20:47 PST 2003

Something else that may enter into this is that in central Poland
many of the larger land barons or landholders were not Polish
but actually Lithuanians who were granted these lands for their
participation in the wars against the Teutonic Knights. The marriage
between the Lithuanian and Polish prince and princess put the Lithuanian
prince on the throne as King of Poland.

The Radzevills are an example of one of the many Lithuanians who gained
 huge areas of land in Poland
I once read that many of these had  much contempt for the Catholic religion
because of the Teutonic Knights and that most of them were actually
or secretly Protestant and therefore didnt have the religious difference
with the German farmers that the Polish people had.

It also appears that the Wurtemburgers were brought in by the Prussian
government, but im not so sure that this was the case for those migrating
from Posen and Brandenburg. Besides Germanizing the area they also had
the goal of enlarging the taxable population without just shifting it from
one part
of their kingdom to another.

I'm curious whether any of the land barons were removed or replaced or had
their
lands taken away when Poland was divided ?

Bob