[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reasons for migration; Was Re: the lost guard

Dietrich Fabricius dietrich at fabricius.net
Wed Jan 8 17:38:49 PST 2003

As you say, the Polish nobility and landlords did invite the Germans (&
Dutch) to Poland to develop farmlands, but this was happening before the
Polish Partitions and before the creation of South Prussia.  German farming
settlements were established in Slonsk in 1605 and Bogpomoz in 1610.
Sachsischer Kdmpe was established near Warsaw in 1629.   German
"Niederungen" settlements were established in Antonier Kdmpe in 1749,
Deustch Troszyn, Borki, and Deutsch Wiaczemin in 1759, and Sady in 1769.
These all occurred before the 1st Polish Partition in 1772 and well before
South Prussia was established in 1793.

Dietrich Fabricius

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca

I am glad that you clearly understand that, unlike Russia and the Catherine
the Great invitations, the presence of Germans in Russian Poland (and
Volhynia) occurred under different circumstances.

As you stated, in many parts of Russian Poland, Germans were already living
there at the time of occupation because the territory (South Prussia and
parts of East Prussia) had previously been under Prussian rule.  In many
cases, the Germans were invited to these areas by invitation, not of
royalty, but rather the landowning nobility.  Although there was often
conflict between Germans and Poles at the peasant level, the Polish
landlords were inviting Germans to settle on their lands to help them
develop and farm it.  Depending on time and location, this was done under a
variety of contract forms including rentals, lease, and purchase.

Watch in the next SGGEE Journal for an article about the migration from
Russian Poland to Volhynia to see how much of this migration was
economically motivated.