[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Needs translation from German to English

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Wed Jan 15 09:37:54 PST 2003

Justin,

Although I have no idea what "SKS" refers to, I'll try to tell you what Herr
Dr. Hartmann said.  First, he says that the muster rolls of the Prussian
army were nearly all destroyed during WW II, so he couldn't find any
reference to your KJF Lipke.  If you know his regiment, then he could
possibly find this person in the "military church books", but otherwise not.
He did find a reference to an officer named Lipke in a 19th-century list
(GSTA PK, IV, etc), where he is identified as a "bombardier" who became a
2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd battalion of the 16th Army-Regiment on Jan. 23,
1844, and transferred to the 38th infantry regiment on July 7, 1849, and to
the 3rd battalion of the 20th Army Regiment, Oct. 12, 1849.  Then on Jan.22,
1852, his rank as an officer was taken from him by a military tribunal.

I'm personally pleased that Dr. Hartmann wrote such a fulsome reply.  This
means that the Prussian State Archives may indeed prove to be an obliging
source of information.  And I hope you know the regiment of your Lipke!

Dick Benert