[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] TESKE in Volhynia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 20 09:14:04 PST 2003

At 08:55 PM 19/01/2003 -0600, Joan Meyer wrote:
>In the first column
>(tag and Stunde des Gerburt) I see his birth date and right under it is "6
>yr".  What does this -6 yr- mean?  It seems that the individuals on this
>page ( and they all have different years listed here) might not have been
>registered at their time of birth but some time later.

In my previous response, I forgot to comment on this.  Tag und Stunde des
Gerburt means day and hour of birth.  It is probably not 6 yr but rather 6
ur = 6 o'clock or literally, the "hour of 6".  In most cases this would
refer to the morning.  Births in the afternoon would usually state fully or
abbreviated, nachmittag (literally - after mid day).  Or those in the
evening might say abends (evening).

These events are registered at baptism, not at birth.  The baptism dates
should therefore be consistently in date sequence (at least within each
village) but some baptisms occurred months or years after the birth so the
date of birth could be much earlier.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca