[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Leaving Volhynia for USA

gary and rhonda simpson garynrho at granite.mb.ca
Tue Jul 1 06:07:13 PDT 2003

My grandparents Robert (born in Lomza Poland) and Hulda (nee
Kroning/Graining born in Volhynia) Litz left Zhitomer along with her brother
Ferdinand Graning/Kroening (still not sure on surname) around 1902 or 1903.
It was told to my uncle that they had the assistance of a Rabbi to get them
into Austria (Poland).  They were escorted to the border at a particular
point where a guard was paid.  They were told they had 2 minutes at which
time the guard would start yelling and firing his rifle in another
direction.
The then went to town in Germany which sounds like "Schurstein" where he
worked in some kind of factory until they had the fare to cross.  The only
info I have about this German town is that is is near a larger center that
had natural "hot baths or springs" and the factory where grandpa worked.
They then crossed to Liverpool, and sailed to Canada in June 1904 on the SS
Bavarian. Robert and Hulda had $1.00 listed on the manifest, her brother,
name now spelt Kreinik, had $10.00 and travelled with a woman Louise Kreinik
and 2 children posing as his wife and children.  It is rumored that this was
a cousin and neice and nephew travelling with him, there is no mention or
record for her or the children after the ships manifest.
My grandfather was on the run from a lumber camp in Northern Russia (around
Minsk or Pinks) escaping arrest for making "Schnapps".
I had never thought about a Jewish Underground, but the story always held it
was a Rabbi that helped them so I presume (which I know is dangerous) that
they somehow contacted it to get across.  The family were Lutheran/Mennonite
(depending on which year you check records in Canada or which baptismal
certificate of their children in Canada).
I have two question that I would like some input on.
1.  Is anyone aware of a town in Germany that sounds like Schurstein, near a
place with hotsprings?
2.  Were there other ports in Germany that went to Liverpool other than
Hamburg?

Appreciate any feedback regarding this.
Thanks you
Rhonda Simpson