[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Leaving Volhynia, Ellis Island etc.

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 21:22:08 PDT 2003

Question regarding leaving Volhynia and going into Poland.  Someone has said
that it was not a problem going thru Poland at that time.  Is that true?  Then
what about getting into Germany and to Hamburg to board a ship for overseas?
My husband's father had only his Confirmation paper as an identity paper (at
least we never did find in his papers anything else like a passport or exit
paper or whatever).  Would an immigrant have to have a legal document in order
to pass through, even into Ellis Island?  The confirmation paper did spell very
sucinctly his name - Fred Less - so unless someone else wrote the name out in
poor handwriting I do not see any deviation to the name.  I tried the Hamburg
Ship website to see if anything was there and nothing came up.  Same for the
Ellis Island site. Tried all variations of name and nothing found.  This brick
wall for finding a ship passenger record is getting very difficult to
overcome.

Anyway, has anyone tried the Jewish Genealogy site yet?  I checked it
tonight, got details on what and how to access them but haven't had nerve yet to do
so.  Thanks, Jerry for your suggestion.  Maybe tomorrow I will take another
step with them.

It does look like a number of you on this listserv have a story of some
involvement with Jewish friends or whatever in their ancestor's family leaving
Volhynia.  Are there more?  Keep the info flowing.  Maybe more stories will help
solve this puzzle about a possible Jewish Underground Railroad.

Virginia Less