[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Jewish underground

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Jul 1 23:49:41 PDT 2003

>I found the reference to a Jewish underground intriguing, because in notes
>related to my grandmother's escape from Russia, they were aided by a "jew"
>who transported them from Warsaw to a place  near Zagorow, Poland where they
>crossed by bribing the border guards.

Hello L (van de Bruggen) and everybody,
I think, it is too extensive to speak of a Jewish underground in terms
of an organization. Indeed there was a loose Jewish network of trading
and smuggling connections on the edge of or beyond legality. They
depended on certain Russian officials and border guards open to bribery.
On the other hand, every Volhynian German bought from Jewish wandering
tradesmen, knew some of them personally and communicated with them in a
common language (Yiddish being an old, medieval German dialect). So it
was obvious to ask a Jewish tradesman for aiding an escape. But as there
was no Yewish organization in the Volhynian coutryside (of course there
was the Jewish social democrat "Bund" and later some intellectual
zionist organizations in the greater cities), there is little chance to
find out the aiding individuals.

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany