[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Former East German Immigration

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Wed Jul 9 13:31:12 PDT 2003

Marlis,

I don't know the answer to your question, but you might try writing to the
Bundesverwaltungsamt in Braunsfeld, Germany.  They seem to be the government
office in control of citizenship documentation.  Trouble is, they don't like
to do "merely" genealogical research, and they prefer to be contacted by an
official with power to act for a private person (such as, I suppose, someone
from your local German consulate).  You could write to Sabrina Wolf at
SabrinaWolf at bva.bund.de .  She reads English, but I'm not sure she can
respond in English.

If any of your relatives became involved with the "Deutsche Volksliste"
proceedings of the Nazis during the war (you said "before 1947"), there may
be records of their applications at the Bundesarchiv in Koblenz.  But if you
write to them, they'll only relay your request to the Bundesverwaltungsamt,
with the same restrictions (i.e., a legitimate "interest" and a legal
representative acting for you).  Some of the DVL records (apparently those
from the Danzigerland, Gothenhafen and Strassburg areas of Poland, are in
the State Archives in Poland, but scattered around among various local
branches.  I don't know exactly how you'd go about accessing these Polish
records of the DVL.  They're not complete, and I'm not at all sure that
they're indexed.  Maybe all you can do is write to the State Archives in
Warsaw.  If you read German, I can forward to you the various letters I've
received on this.

It all sounds pretty daunting to me.   I hope you can find a better way!

Dick Benert