[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] varying dates

srlists srlists at eipertinfo.com
Mon Jul 21 07:41:54 PDT 2003

One issue could be the confusion between birth and baptism dates. My aunts
and uncles say that they always acknowledged their father's birthdate on 23
April, 1878, and that is the date on his death certificate and obituary.
But, according to the original parish records, and also his U.S.
naturalization info, my grandfather was born on 10 April, 1878, According to
the parish records, he was clearly born on 10 April, and baptised on 23
April. The family Bible shows the month and year, but has a smudge over the
numerical date. The date of baptism must have been significant enough for my
grandfather to confuse the two at some point, or for some reason to use the
baptism date rather than the birth date when telling people when he was
born.

Sue Eipert
srlists at eipertinfo.com