[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] varying dates

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 21 08:36:27 PDT 2003

    When compiling the Volhynian St Petersburg databases, it was not unusual to find the date of baptism noted preceding the date of birth by many days and sometimes weeks.  German Lutheran records from Poland often show discepancies of age from one event to another of several years.  My conclusion is that people didn't concern themselves too much about their exact age and dates as we do now.
    Did they even have calendars to refer to in their homes?

John Marsch

  One issue could be the confusion between birth and baptism dates. My aunts
  and uncles say that they always acknowledged their father's birthdate on 23
  April, 1878, and that is the date on his death certificate and obituary.
  But, according to the original parish records, and also his U.S.
  naturalization info, my grandfather was born on 10 April, 1878, According to
  the parish records, he was clearly born on 10 April, and baptised on 23
  April. The family Bible shows the month and year, but has a smudge over the
  numerical date. The date of baptism must have been significant enough for my
  grandfather to confuse the two at some point, or for some reason to use the
  baptism date rather than the birth date when telling people when he was
  born.

  Sue Eipert
  srlists at eipertinfo.com