[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Muller, Mauzei, Jalowice

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jun 5 13:30:22 PDT 2003

My grand father immigrated (via Bremen) to America via NY in 1901. The
immigration records indicate he is an ethnic German from Russia. He
gives his town as Jolowice. Another family record has the spelling as
Jalowice. Up until 1920 he consistently gives his origins as Russia. In
the census of 1920 however this is changed to Poland. This I assume was
due to the recreation of Poland after WWI. There is a Jalowice in
western Poland today. Its location near the current German border would
not be within the boundaries of the 1901 Russian empire instead the
German empire. There is a PoJALOWICE near Miechow in today's Poland. It
would be in the boundaries of the Russia Empire. Miechow is close to the
spelling in my grandmother's immigration record below.

My grandfather's name was Wilhelm Muller (an umlaut on the U) and was of
the Lutheran faith. He married Auguste Mauzei, an unusual German
surname, also a German from Russia in 1902 in Bristol, Ct. I do not have
a record of her immigration apparently in 1902, consequently no record
of a town. However she returned to Russia in 1905 to have her first
child. Upon her return to America in 1906 she gives a name of a town.
The record is difficult to read. It appears to be M??chowa the question
marks may be vowels. The child born there left a record indicating she
was born in Jalowice.

Is anyone familiar with this town of Pojalowice? Has anyone ever come
across the Mauzei surname? I come up blank on most genealogy searches.

Mike McHenry