[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Towns

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun May 18 08:29:24 PDT 2003

County and province borders changed numerous times over the past 200
years.  You can see some of those using the maps listed at:
http://www.pgsa.org/geomaps.htm

The second problem is the duplication of place names in Poland which means
any one of the places you list could be in one of several local governing
districts.  For example, there are at least 4 Maliniec located in 3
different modern provinces.  There is only one Szarlatow(o) (in the Konin
region) but several dozens of Dabrowo.

It would help your research if you could narrow down the region, even to
that of pre WW I Russian Poland.  Membership in SGGEE allows for access to
my maps which show over 3000 villages in which Germans lived in Russian
Poland.  There is still place name duplication but it helps to reduce the
numbers.  (map series also available for purchase in different format -
contact me privately)

Assuming that you are dealing with Germans, it is often more helpful to
know a parish name rather than a political boundary.  Churches kept the
vital statistics records for the government.  With the parish name, you can
find out what LDS resources are available (see also
http://sggee.org/PolishLutheranArchives ) and you can determine which local
archive holds the originals for further research.

And finally, it would help if you can group the events in these
villages.  For example, if your paternal ancestry in a 20 year period
occurs in 4 of these villages, there is a possibility that they are in the
same parish which will narrow the search.

At 01:00 PM 17/05/2003 -0500, RichardR wrote:
>Does anyone know if or where I can obtain a map or document that shows the
>county and province of towns in Poland? I would like to get that information
>on the following towns: Maliniec, Szarlatowo, Dabrowo, Koci Ostrow,
>Tarnowek, Teodorowo, Bialobloty, Cekow, Witowo, Przewoz, Krzymowo, Kalisz,
>Samoczyn, Mostki, Borecznia, Wielka Wies, Sosnowice, Zuzanowo, Owinsku and
>Janowo. If a map or document is not available, maybe members will be able to
>help me out. Thanks.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca