[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation: Grudzienski .. (part 2)

Gerhard König gk_eisenach at web.de
Fri Sep 26 15:57:23 PDT 2003

Mail from Joerg Brauer ( brauerjorg at compuserve.de )  part 2
>From all these traditions 1638 two KLUDT brothers (August and ???)
from a village with Z|lpich on the Rhine (approx. 40 kms to the south
of Cologne) to Brandenburg went because there from the big Elector
free land was distributed that 1636 of Sweden were laid waste and
were at that time almost without population. Further details is not
known about that point, however, I suppose that this land to the East
him Oder lay. (Oderbruch, Netze district, Warthe depressions, in the
triangle of the rivers of the same name)

They looked for free land because the court of the parents according
to the valid law among the successors might be not split. For it other
children kept a good education with it them her bread as a teacher
or officials with the sovereigns or with the church could earn. (Citation)

>From it that goes out these KLUDT brothers read and could write and
controlled the business arithmetic kinds usual at that time. I mention
this because such arts were to be found at that time among farm children
very rarely. The parents of these brothers must have been well-to-do after
graduations at that time (30-year-old religion-war).

The descendants of these brothers have spread evidently in the whole
area to the east him Oder. I close this from letters I up to now above
the lists has agreed. However, my immediate ancestors are other-walked
after the 7-year-old war (about 1760) to Poland, away from the sphere
of influence of Friedrich to the majority. The reason, probably they left
her sons not in wars and in Poland there was for German colonists
free land. (shop or lease)

My 3x great-grandfather Johann Kludt (in 1783-1862, the third Johann)
has walked in 1819/20 from Poland to Bessarabia and has taken over
there (Katzbach) immediately the village school. He was already in
Poland a teacher, however, the tailor's craft had also learned.

All KLUDT afterwards in the south of Russia lived are descendants
of his both sons. Johann KLUDT and his wife Anna Maria WILL had
only these both children, Karl Wilhelm KLUDT (in 1807-1874) and
Friedrich August KLUDT (in 1811-1897). My great-great-grandfather
is latter and he has written the still available oldest diary. It came into
being in the time between 1840 and 1895 and was an incredibly
important spring to the understanding of the life circumstances in
Bessarabia for me.
His older brother has started even a book (notebook, 70 sides) about
the life circumstances of the colonists in Bessarabia written, from
the first settlement to approx. 1866. Both brothers were teachers,
how many KLUDT after them and they had together 29 children.
However, of it only 19 have reached the adult's age.

As places of residence in Prussia the following places are called:
Schneidemuehl, Schokken, Bromberg, Rogasen, Gnesen in Posen
and the town Posen.
However, these were only the nearest capital towns the real places
of residence were not delivered. These places are called as the
market towns where they sold her rural products. Their farm courts
must be to be looked in the surroundings of these places. I have
even already found some about German mailing lists.

In Poland itself become the places Kolo, Konin, Turek, Dabie,
Wrotzlawek, Peterkau (Petrikau?) named. Also here they have
not lived in the towns but in the villages of the surroundings. Also
here it was already helped me by members of German mailing lists
decisively. Today all these places lie in Poland.

So now I come bit by bit to GRUDCIENSKI.

In the years 1834/35 my great-great-grandfather F.A.Kludt has from
Bessarabia a trip to Germany undertaken. He was 23 years old at
beginning of this trip, it was a total of 10 months on the way namely
almost exclusively on foot. Whether he could use on the way also
once a cart is not delivered to us. For a trip with the stagecoach he
and his parents had no money. Whether there have been at that
time generally post lines in Bessarabia, I do not know at all.

During these 10 months he has a total of approx. 2,400 kms covered.
I have measured again his way which he has well documented with
the dividers on my maps, I did not come out of the astonishment.
The really covered distance was even still probably longer around
something, because he very often had to go detours. (four land borders)

>From the tradition is still famously also his older brother (he was
already married) has involved in the financing of the trip.

With the trip two purposes were pursued on pursuing of his parents.

1. He should visit the headquarters of the confession *Herrnhuter
brother chruch* (?) in man's hat / Saxony. For different reasons
which should be mentioned only by way of a hint he possibly many
municipalities of the Herrnhuter visit. Probably it was about religious
disputes in Bessarabia, because in this time there have been there
some riots because of religious practices divergent from the Lutheran
belief. They obviously looked for new orientation. He had in addition
a letter of his father to the Herrnhuter. What stood in it, unfortunately,
is not delivered.
Indeed, he goes from some entries from so-called Diarien out really
some brother's municipalities has visited and which it has been in
man's hat. At that time my inquiry intruded (2 years ago) at first
very much because them just a jubilee prepared. Then, however,
I got surely soon an answer with the archive duplicates and this
even(still) free of charge.
I have proved the Herrnhutern quite unconsciously a big service
with the description of the trip of my ancestors. The archive in
man's hat has burned out namely in 1945 and the information I
have delivered to them no more existing in the archive.

2. He should visit on the way all members of his parents (brothers
and sisters). Thus he has visited of course also the youngest
brother of his father, just the Christoph KLUDT/GRUDSCHINSKI.
In the family he counted as the black sheep because he of the
right belief had deviated and Catholic has become. He was
excluded practically from the family. However, he had to visit
the order also him.

To the understanding of the situation I quote a cutting from the diary ...

... part 3 ...