[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hhurnibrod, Russia and Chotinka, Volynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 10 14:09:27 PDT 2004

Chotinka aka Kolonie Chotenka or Neudorf or Nowe Chotenka (= New Chotenka)
is located about 4 km south of Kostopol.

Go to http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/x-ussr/ukraine.html and click on
Rivne, then #41.

Enlarge the map if necessary.  Kostopol is on the right hand side, at
horizontal line 40.

You will see a main road heading almost due south from Kostopol.  Chotenka
was east of that road about half way between horizontal 36 and 34.  For
reference, Stare Chotenka (= Old Chotenka) is just north of there.

Is Hhurnibrod a place name from family lore or do you have it on a record
of some kind?  As it stands by itself, my best guess is Horyngrod located
about 7 km SW of Tutschin.  That place is on the west bank of the Horyn
River and in the extreme upper left corner of map #54.

If you have it on a document, I'd be happy to look at a scan to see if we
can get a better interpretation of the place name.

At 12:41 PM 10/08/2004, John Swem wrote:
>Our grandfather, Adolph Hass, was born in Chotinka, Volynia in 1881 to
>Frederick Hass and Charlotte Roehl.
>
>Our grandmother, Wilhelmina Pschigoda (or Przygoda) was born in
>Hhurnibrod, Russia in 1885 to Gottfried Pschigoda and Pauline Stebner.
>
>They came to the US in the 1890's.
>
>We know that Chotinka is in the Tutschin-Rowna area, but don't have an
>exact location.
>
>We have no idea where Hhurnibrod was.
>
>Thank you for any help in locating these two places.
>
>John A. Swem
>4201 Driftwood Rd.
>Greensboro, NC 27455

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta