[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hhurnibrod, Russia and Chotinka, Volynia

AlbertMuth at aol.com AlbertMuth at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 15:25:58 PDT 2004

The spelling for the village Hhurnibrod is suspect--what language was it
written down in?

I suspect it may be one of several Czarny Brod's.  I note particularly one
that is located midway between Zagorow and Grodziec parishes (western edge of
Russian Poland, bordering on the then Prussia).

What I like about it is that is located just a WEE bit to the East of a town
Ostrow,
where I have registered the family Przygoda (in Zagorow marriages).  I have
skimmed my marriage transcriptions for Zagorow through 1877 for a marriage of
Gottfried and Pauline (Stebner) Przygoda, but no success.  I will search the
indices for it on Wednesday.  These towns are all on the Breyer map.

It is possible, though I do not know this, that Grodziec might be the parish
to search in, perhaps on LDS film #1608615.  I do not have access to this.

I searched the Volhynian records in the members only area using only the
letters PS and PRZ in the surname field, and I did turn up about two births and
marriages (each).

Stebners are almost everywhere in Russian Poland, but Zagorow, thus far, is
the only place where I have ever run across the Przygoda surname (spelled
fairly consistently the Polish way).  Per the Hoffman book (Polish Surnames:
Origins and Meanings), it means "adventure, experience".  The Pschi- spelling is a
German rendering (approximated) of the sound of Polish Przy-.

Al Muth