[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] settlement of Chauka Babufka

James Gambrel jgambrel at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 21 20:01:41 PDT 2004

Hi listers -

Has anyone ever heard of a place called Chauka Babufka?

I don't know if this is the correct spelling, but it is the way it was
spelled to me.

A member of my extended family was born there in 1909. His name was Daniel
Porcher.

He and his family emigrated from Russia to Canada.  They spoke a dialect of
German.

In Canada they belonged to the Baptist church.

The "CH" in Chauka is pronounced like the 'ch' in Church.

I tried the Shtetl Seeker, but it came up with zero.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Muriel