[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Games of Volhynian Germans

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 11:16:53 PDT 2004

If my husband, Gary, was reading this on the listserv he would have
immediately written you all to say that his Dad, Fred Less, and many of the Volhyhian
relatives (mostly the men) were always playing a game called Schafkopf
(Sheepshead) when the family got together.  They were all good Lutherans but this
never seemed to stop them from enjoying this particular game at family reunions,
picnics and so on.  Whenever the Less-es played we women would always hear loud
shouts at times when a winner made it - whatever.  At times they didn't even
take time to come upstairs to eat (they played in a basement when inside).

You can obtain the rules on a website by calling up Sheepshead.  At least
that was what Gary did when this discussion was hot and heavy on the Ger-Rus
website in 1996 about games our ancestors played.  The "Sheepshead"  website
called this a "very cool card game similar to both pinochle and euchre.  It has a
challenging rule system, the game rewards those diligent enough to learn it.
(Gary said he never did learn how to play it so let his immigrant cousins,
uncle and his Dad enjoy it.  He just watched.  His Dad arrived in the States in
1903 and cousins later in the 1920's as adults.  So they would have had to know
all about it when living in Volhynia)

It is a five-player game, using a thirty-two card deck containing the seven,
eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king and ace in each of the four suits.  One
needs a pen and paper for scoring purposes.  More details on the website.
Anyway, I do not know if this was a typical game from Volhynia but the website
describing the game says it is an old German card game developed by shepherds very
long ago.

Look it up and try it.  Maybe it could be iintroduced at our next SGGEE
convention!?!

Virginia Less