[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (Ger-Poland-Volhynia) Marriage Age

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 2 07:20:12 PDT 2004

At 10:13 PM 01/07/2004 -0400, JSchu9014 at aol.com wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>Can anyone tell me the average age of a male to marry?  I have found only one
>Christian Haupt that fits facts I currently have.  Christian Haupt and
>Wilhelmine Mincho married in 1890.  Wilhelmine was born in 1873 and was 17
>when she
>married.  The Christian Haupt birth records indicate that he was born in
>1877.
>  That would make him only 14 years old.
>For this reason I have avoided making a connection between the two.  Would a
>young boy of 14 marry a girl 3 years older.  They were living in the village
>of Bubny/Glueckstal near Baranovka not far from Zhitomir.
>
>Any thoughts on this subject?

Marriage at age 14 would be most improbable.  He would only be confirmed at
that age.

I have seen men as young as 17 getting married but more typically they are
19 or 20 or even older.

Is your info from the extraction or have you compared to the original?  The
reason for asking is that the entries are made at the time of the baptism,
not the birth.  If the baptism took place a few years after the birth,
perhaps an extraction error occurred in reporting the birth year.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca