[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] history interpretations

jackmilner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 9 12:32:54 PDT 2004

Dear List Readers,

My Aunt had related that her Mother (my Grandmother) told her that the
Bolsheviks were quite active and causing a great deal of trouble in the
years before they left Volhynia for Canada in 1907.  I started
researching history for my Grandfather's story in order to get a better
understanding of what was happening back then.  Why Did They Leave?  I
wondered.  Below are some conclusions I reached through my research of
Eastern European history.   (Note:  I AM NOT an historian)   For my
thoughts see:

http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/2_whydidtheyleave.htm

  For my Great Grandfather's story I wrote:

When Gottlieb emigrated in 1905, the Russian government had been
continually changing land laws aimed at confiscating land owned by
German-Russians in the province of Volhynia. The anarchistic Bolshevik
movement was also gaining momentum and creating further unrest
throughout the country. The seeds of revolution had been planted years
before during the Decembrist rebellion of 1825 and were now growing
intensely. (Historians have noted that the Decembrist Uprising greatly
influenced the development of revolutionary movements in Russia.) Russia
had also initiated the ill fated Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05 which
required more conscripts into the army to sustain the military action.
These conditions probably helped Gottlieb decide that it was time to
leave. Apparently they just walked away from a nice farm with orchards
to get away from that troubled part of Russia and his reasons were not
clearly explained nor openly discussed with anyone after his arrival in
Canada.

Reference:

http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/3_gottlieb.htm

This led me to write the following excerpt for my Grandfather's story:

The winds of revolutionary activity had begun blowing in Russia with the
Decembrist uprisings in 1825. In 1907, when Michael, his wife and three
children left Russia, Volhynia was a troubled area. The Bolsheviks were
not above lawlessness and terrorism. As well, the authorities had for
years been creating problems for the German colonists settled there.
Land laws directed at the German colonists made it difficult for them to
own, buy or lease land to further develop and expand operations.
Furthermore, a policy of 'Russification' had begun in 1881 under Tsar
Alexander III. This policy, with varying degrees of success, attempted
to 'Russify' all of the colonists in the country by having them become
Russian citizens and teaching their children in the Russian language.
However, it was not only the German speaking colonists affected by this,
but colonists of all nationalities. Michael was an educated man, having
been a lay preacher in the Lutheran Church in the city of Tutshin as
well as a teacher in Antonowka.

Reference:
http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/3michael.htm

See below for what Jerry Frank has to say on this subject

Yours truly,

Jack Milner
--------------------------
Jerry Frank wrote:

The oppression of the Germans in particular, but other ethnic groups as
well, began in the late 1880s when Russian was declared the official
language to be used in the schools.  This also applied to church records
which now had to be written in Russian Cyrillic.  Or at least that
applied to the official ones that were sent to St. Petersburg.  Those
after about 1890 were apparently written in Russian Cyrillic.  There
were also changes in the way land ownership was handled resulting in
land being expropriated from some Germans and the inability for Germans
to increase their land holdings as would be needed with the increases in
population.

I also think there was a minor deportation situation in 1905 but I am
not sure about the details.  Most of my ancestors left Russia before
1900 so I haven't paid a lot of attention to the more recent history.
--

Please Note:   My e-mail is protected by Norton AntiVirus 2002 to
control the risk of receiving or forwarding a virus.