[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of village Keziwagora or Krzywagura, Russia 1908-1911

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 21 16:16:47 PDT 2004

At 04:22 PM 21/07/2004, Bruce Stange wrote:
>I am looking for information on my Grandparents village Gottfried Stange b.
>May 20, 1885 in Pinino, Poland and Augusta Gittner b. May 18, 1891. Ellis
>Island data shows Gottfried from Keziwagora, Russia 1911 and Augusta from
>Krzywagura, Russia 1908.

Put the 2 spellings together and you get the correct place name, Krzywa
Gora.  It is on the south side of the Vistula (Wisla) River, about 8 km NW
of Wloclawek.  Use http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to do
a search for Wloclawek.  Click on the map coordinates to get the MapQuest
map.  Zoom in one level and you will see it near the top edge.  Today it is
very close to a major industrial area (looks like possibly an oil refinery)
between the highway and the river and may be partly absorbed by it.

Pinino is further west, on the east bank of the Tazyna River which formed
the boundary with Prussia.17 km west of Nieszawa.  It does not appear on
the MapQuest map.  To find it approximately, when you are on the original
map showing Wloclawek, you will see that Nieszawa is just up river from
there.  Along the upper left edge of the map is Jeziorno.  Click on it to
centre the map there.  You will see a village called Poczalkowo.  Pinino is
about 1 km west of there.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca