[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Wed Mar 17 23:25:25 PST 2004

Karl, I recently had a discussion with another genealogist how likely it
would be that an English speaking Census Taker would write down
'Friedrichsburg' when a German immigrant gave his place of birth as
'Friedrichsberg' using a heavy German accent and trying to speak English.
So I just tried to imagine what kind of data you would find today if your
ancestors would have answered "(Kustanai) Qostanay, Kazakhstan" as their
origin :)

I think it is a good idea to enter the current country. But then the world
keeps changing and even your carefully researched data can only be
interpreted in a correct way if it is dated information. Anyone using your
data in 50 years time might have the same difficulties locating the places
if he/she doesn't consider the fact that you entered the data in 2004 and
that he/she will need an (old) map of that time period to find the place.
Maybe adding the geographical coordinates would be a good option?

Jutta