[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 20:01:40 PST 2004

>Secondly, many
>people that post ancestral information simply put Germany or Poland, etc. down
>as a birthplace. It would be the same as stating North America for any of us
>over on this side of the pond.

>I guess its just a pet peeve of mine

Well that's a pet peeve of mine too but unfortunately many times all we have to go on is what others know, and this may be all they know. If they had no interest in genealogy they would not realize the importance of giving specific information. Another good example I see all the time is Germans who listed their parent's death location in EWZ as Russland. When you translate that into our current geography that could mean Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and as was just confirmed to me this week Uzbekistan. So at the time, any cities I find in these EWZ records would have been the Soviet Union but many times that gives readers little idea of where that location is.

To help out anyone in the future using the data I enter, I have been entering the current country just so they know where to find this city. "Russland" is a vast land where even some genealogists might get lost just as many Germans did. "Kustanai, Russland" really tells you nothing but "(Kustanai) Qostanay, Kazakhstan" immediately tells how far this family was displaced and where you need to look for this bizarre city.

Do you Yahoo!?