[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] John Koenig b. Nov. 1827 in Kallish/Kalisz, Poland

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 2 07:03:43 PST 2004

First, the Kunan extraction was incorrect.  It would be easy to misread an
n for an r and Kuran is the correct spelling.

Second, we know it is near Kostopol because the Kostopol records
immediately precede those for Kuran.  Since Berestowiec follows immediately
after, we can say with 99.9% certainty that this is either Kurhany Nowe
(New Kurhany) or Kurhany Stare (Old Kurhan) located about 8 km west of
Kostopol and 3 km NE of Berestowiec.  Today, Kurhany is known as Sadki.

It is not connected to Klewan in any way.

Friedrichsdorf (aka Solomka) was about 6 km SW of Berestowiec.

To find these places, go to
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/x-ussr/ukraine.html and click on Rivne (=
Rowno).  Next click on #41 and enlarge the map if necessary.

Kostopol is the large town on the right side between horizontal lines 38
and 40.

Berestowiec is the town above horizontal 36 and left of vertical 52.

Kurhany Stare (Sadki) - follow the NE road from Berestowiec to the next
very small village (begins with C).

Kurhany Nowe (Sadki) - follow the road due north from Kurhany Stare to the
larger village (begins with C).

Solomka / Friedrichsdorf is above line 32 and right of 46.

At 01:30 AM 02/11/2004, Peter Schmaltz wrote:

>(3) John migrated to Volhynia from Poland in the 1870s. The SGGEE
>transcriptions of the St. Pete archives list two of John's children as born in
>Volyhnia in a location named "Kuran" in one case and "Kunan" in another in the
>1880s. Can anyone tell me where this town/village is located in Volhynia? Is
>this possibly referring to the town of "Klewan" (NW of Rowne) shown on the
>1927 Volhynian migration map? I ask because one of John's daughters, Mathilda
>Koenig, met and married my great grandfather Albert Schmaltz in Volhynia in
>1896 and he was from the town of Friedrichsdorf (also NW of Rowne).

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca