[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname: Mittelstaedt

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 2 07:09:19 PST 2004

At 11:12 AM 01/11/2004, abelreg at shaw.ca wrote:
>I am just beginning my research into  my Volhynian ancestors ; my
>information  pre 1913 is sketchy but I have to start somewhere! Surnames:
>Mittelstaedt, Schmidt, Gerder/Gerdel.  Place names - Mtsenk(?), Wladin,
>Zhitomir.
>
>My ggrandmother was Christina MITTELSTAEDT (3 Mar 1873 Zhitomir - 23 Jun
>1935 Canada) m. 10 Mar 1893 to Gottfried GERDER/GERDEL (GERL) (12 Oct 1857
>birthplace unknown - 23 Feb 1945 Canada) They immigrated to the USA in
>1893 and then moved to Canada in 1913.

Do you have a document that indicates that Christina was born in
Zhitomir?  The St. Pete records show some of her younger siblings born
after 1875 but I don't see her recorded there.

>Christina was the daughter of Karl Karlovich MITTELSTAEDT & Wilhelmina
>SCHMIDT - both born ca. 1840's.
>
>I am willing to share what information  I have on Christina's siblings
>plus the data on the descendants of Christina & Gottfried (the Canadian
>branch is complete to 2002).
>
>I would be interested if any information on these people appears in the
>parochial registers of Dziepolc.

Where is Dziepolc and what is the source of this place name?  It doesn't
seem to fit anything I can find in Volhynia.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca