[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kurnenz, Russia

Royal Natzke rdnatzke at execpc.com
Thu Nov 4 18:41:53 PST 2004

Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me find my grandfather's birth place. His name
was John Martin Neumann and his US Immigration papers state he was born in
KURNENZ, Russia in 1860. On the Declaration of Intention the town is spelled
KURMENZ.. I have not been able to find it on maps. At the University of WI map
room, they suggested trying a soundex version and came up with the town of
Kormanice in Poland. Could it be possible that this was Poland and not Russia
at the time? His marriage in 1882 to Pauline Kunkel is recorded in the
Rosyscze Lutheran Church records in Volhynia. Their children were born in
Mariendorf, Vladimir, Volhynia. He immigrated to the US via Canada in 1911.
Dorothy Natzke