[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kurnenz, Russia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 5 12:26:02 PST 2004

At 07:41 PM 04/11/2004, Royal Natzke wrote:
>Hello,
>I am hoping someone can help me find my grandfather's birth place. His name
>was John Martin Neumann and his US Immigration papers state he was born in
>KURNENZ, Russia in 1860. On the Declaration of Intention the town is spelled
>KURMENZ.. I have not been able to find it on maps. At the University of WI map
>room, they suggested trying a soundex version and came up with the town of
>Kormanice in Poland. Could it be possible that this was Poland and not Russia
>at the time? His marriage in 1882 to Pauline Kunkel is recorded in the
>Rosyscze Lutheran Church records in Volhynia. Their children were born in
>Mariendorf, Vladimir, Volhynia. He immigrated to the US via Canada in 1911.

The location of Kormanice in modern Poland would have historically been in
Galicia which was under Austrian rule, not Russian.  It was at no time part
of Russia.

Unfortunately, the spelling, as shown, may be too distorted to be able to
pinpoint the location.  Sometimes even the soundex of the ShtetlSeeker site
(which I assume is what you are referring to) is not good enough to catch
the correct location.

There are 2 villages in Volhynia known as Kurman.  Although that spelling
seems close to what you have, there is no way to verify if either of them
is correct.  It would appear that John's birth is not recorded in the St.
Pete records.  Again we cannot determine if that is because he was born
elsewhere or if it is because that particular record was missed.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca