[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] My grandfather's Russian Birth Record,Wladyslaw Krawczyk

kenneth krawczyk kenkraw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:54:15 PST 2004

I would be most happy to oblige!  The address in Radom is:

Archiwum Panstwowe
ul. Rynek 1
26-610 Radom
Tel. 362 11 50; 340 51 00
fax. 340 51 01

I originally wrote to: Naczelna Dyrekcja
                            Archiwow Panstwowych
                            ul. Dluga 6, skrytka pocztowa 1005
                            00-950 Warszawa
                            tel. 831-32-06 do 08
                            fax 831-75-63
I wrote this both in Polish and English hoping that someone there would be
able to read either way.  They did, but all correspondence I received back
was in Polish (with the aid of several friends who immigrated from Poland,
who translated for me).  They wrote back and said that the request was
passed on for processing according to the laws and regulations from this
Central Archive in Warsaw to the regional Archivei in Radom.  The cost was
24 Zlotych, or about $7.25.
The problem was that they would accept no checks or credit cards, and would
only accept a bank wire!  When I inquired about it at my local bank, the
bank wanted information (account numbers and such) that the Archives said
they didn't provide.  They told me that major cities in the U.S. do this all
the time without all the data my bank wanted (the cost of the wire would be
about $30).  I was told by friends that banks in major cities do this quite
readily, but in my small town, they were probably quite unfamiliar with such
wires to foreign countries.
So, a friend of mine working in Germany had a friend of his who lived in
Poland go to the Archive and paid the money, then the Archives posted the
document!  A long story, but just telling you to warn you of the delays.
This probably took about two months.

So be patient, and it'll happen.  Oh, I forgot that they offered several
other options:  a certified copy for legal use for about $25 and a Russian
to Polish translation for about the same (I think).

Good luck in your search,

Ken Krawczyk