[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 1901 Census NWT (Canada) on-line

jackmilner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 14 08:25:04 PST 2004

Hello Listers,

For those of you who had ancestors in western Canada in 1901, there is a new search tool available.  The 1901 Census for the Northwest Territories Index is online.  You must keep in mind that these are transcriptions and the census taker may not have spelled the name of your ancestor as you expect.  As well, the transcribing team may not have been able to easily read the census takers hand writing.  Below is the announcement from the Alberta Genealogical Society.  It's a great development!

Jack Milner

--------------
The 1901 Census for the Northwest Territories Index is online.

On Wednesday 27th October, Edmonton Branch placed the complete Index of the
1901 Census for the North West Territories on our web site
<www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/>  for all to search.

The Index which has taken eight years to complete covers the modern
provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan.  All Metis, First Nation and early
Alberta pioneers are listed.

The Index, which is fully searchable in a variety of ways, is unique because
it not only shows a transcription of the entry and the page it appears on,
but it links to the actual image of the census page on the National Archives
of Canada web site.  This is a flexible genealogical tool and is an
invaluable aid for anyone looking for their relatives in early twentieth
century, western Canada.

This project took many dedicated volunteers working long hours over the
years, doing the necessary tasks of transcribing, entering, checking,
formatting, crosschecking, proof reading, and double checking to complete
the five published indexes.  It is the most accurate index that could have
been produced.

It took many more volunteer hours to put this data into a form that our web
provider Iconys Formatica Inc., could use to design the superb search engine
we needed.

It has been a very successful project, ably lead by our hardworking team
leaders Pat Pettitt and Norma Wolowyk.  This project originally proposed by
Jim Farnel and promoted by Ian Holmes, has employed a large number of our
branch members over the years.  I wish I could mention you all.

On behalf of the Executive of Edmonton Branch and all researchers, I
congratulate and thank every one of you who has participated in this
remarkable achievement and contributed to its success.

Terry Gregory
President
Edmonton Branch, Alberta Genealogical Society

--

Please Note:   My e-mail is protected by Norton AntiVirus 2002 to
control the risk of receiving or forwarding a virus.