[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Faiths of the Volhynian Germans--Baptists

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Nov 19 12:05:40 PST 2004

In case Don Miller is too modest to mention his book, "In the Midst of
Wolves, a History of German Baptists in Volhynia, Russia, 1863-1943", then
I'll mention it.  We certainly don't know as much about Baptists as we'd
like to know, but Don's book is invaluable for anyone interested.

Incidentally, a scholar named Heather Coleman has recently (1998) written a
PhD dissertation at the U. of Illinois.  It's "The Most Dangerous Sect:
Baptists in Tsarist and Soviet Russia, 1905-1929".   It will appear as a
book next year under the title "Russian Baptists and Spiritual Revolution,
1905-1929".  This may or may not have information on German Baptists in
Volhynia.  I haven't seen it yet, but will quite soon.  The thesis is
available for purchase online, in case anyone is interested, from Bell and
Howell.  I think it's at umi.com.

Anyway, Jerry, the short answer to your question about Baptists is that some
came as Baptists from Poland and Prussia, and some were converted through
the efforts of a few missionaries, most notably, Gottfried Alf.

Dick Benert