[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: [G-P-V] Tchechei; place-names

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 24 07:36:06 PST 2004

    It would be difficult to say Karl,  without simultaneously examining contemporary Catholic and Lutheran records for a specific area.  I can say this much from what I have seen, at least in some of the inter faith marriages, the births of the children were recorded in the Lutheran church. I don't know how open the Catholic church was at the time to accept marriages of Catholics "outside the church" or if it had any bearing on where the children were christened.
    Preparing a database of all the marriage, birth and death records of Lodz Trinity Lutheran parish for a 25 year period and establishing family units as I am doing, is an interesting project, one that gives rise to all sorts of fascinating questions and occasionally, revelations.

John Marsch

  To take it one step further, in general, what church did these "mixed" marriages tend to ascribe to as their families grew up? Did they go with the Catholic church where there was a predominance of Poles or did they go to the Lutheran church and thus hang out with the Germans?

  gpvjem <gpvjem at sasktel.net> wrote:
    My assumption is that Catholic single men moved into the Lodz area to take advantage of the employment offered in the textile industry and ended up marrying the local women. I have encountered very few Lutheran Lodz Trinity records where Catholic women married Lutheran men which leads me to that conclusion. Perhaps in Catholic records a different picture might emerge.

    John Marsch

    Does this imply, John, that Catholic women did not tend to marry Lutheran
    men? If so, are there any suggestions as to why Lutheran women would marry
    Catholic men more than the other way around?

    Dick Benert