[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tischler

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 25 08:48:41 PST 2004

If this were a marriage record and the term followed the name of the woman,
you could readily assume that the record showed both her maiden name and
the surname from her previous marriage.

However, since it follows the name of the male, it is unlikely to be a
previous surname of the wife.  It is more likely to be an occupation - in
this case a joiner or finish carpenter.  (Note that this may not be a
precise definition.  A GOOGLE search indicates that there is either
disagreement over the precise meaning or it can apply to a variety of
conditions.)

You have not provided a full context for the record so my comment could be
wrong.

At 09:20 AM 25/11/2004, Delores Stevens wrote:
>Behind one of my ancestors names in brackets is written(Tischler).  Is
>this a name or an occupation or the maiden name of a previous spouse.  I
>assume that he may have had one as he was 30.
>
>Delores Maduke
>Saskatoon

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca