[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Customs and Traditions of Volhynians

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 21:09:41 PDT 2004

Thanks  Betty for your great list of sayings and their translations.  And
thanks to all who continue to think of one or two to submit.  But I wish someone
would help me with the translation of the words that my husband said his Dad
always used when frustrated with the kids when they did something stupid or
perhaps wrong.  The words were:  (and perhaps not spelled correctly)
schlamassel
Schlameel  (or schlameil)
Kleiner Schlingel

Someone a few years ago when Gary put these on another GR listserv said these
words were Jewish.  Sure would like to know if so.  Gary's Father, Freidrich
Less, was from a village somewhat north of Novograd Volhynsk and understand
there was a sizable Jewish commuity and market at edge of this city.  Perhaps
Fred Less picked up some words from there while growing up.  He was 18 when he
immigrated out.  Anyone know anything about this Jewish community I am
referring to, and if these words might have some background that is what they call
Yiddish?

Sincerely,
Virginia Less