[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] surnames ending in ski

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 4 06:28:25 PDT 2005

At 04:57 AM 04/04/2005, David Wade wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me why it seems there are so many surnames from this
>area that end in 'ski' or some variation of 'ski' (or is it my imagination)?
>
>Thank you,
>Lois

There are a variety of possibilities for this situation with respect to
Germans in East-central Europe.  First, understand that the 'ski' suffix is
equivalent to 'von' in German.  Like von, it can have two
connotations.  One is nobility.  It implies that you are "from" a noble
family.  The other is locational, implying that your are "from" a certain town.

So how do peasant class people get such a name?  Several
possibilities.  One might be that a noble family loses its fortune or the
fortune gets spread thinly among the descendants so that they become the
same level as peasant class people.  Another way was that a nobleman could
grant the right for a peasant to use his surname, especially for some form
of meritous service, perhaps in battle.

Sometimes names evolved.  I have the surname Girschewski in my ancestry,
German Lutheran for many years.  As best I can determine, the surname
evolved out of the German name, Gersch.

In other cases, ski was tacked on to the end of a German name that had been
translated to Polish.  You can probably find some of those in the surnames
equivalency list on the SGGEE website.

Many of these Polish sounding names used by German ethnics (including my
Girschewski) came out of the Kashubian region, mostly in western West
Prussia but extending into eastern Pomerania.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca