[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "von" in name

Peter Fischer westphalia-ranch at msn.com
Mon Apr 4 09:23:57 PDT 2005

Hi Susan,

Selling a title is definitely possible.  Mostly it was done for economic
reasons.  The same is true in my family.  My maternal ancestor Gottlieb von
Melsa sold his title back in the mid-nineteenth century in exchange for a
large tract of land in Masuren, East Prussia.  I imagine their were some sort
of civil records kept of the transaction; otherwise everyone could have
claimed a title.  I don't know of any but would also be interested to learn if
their were such records and what the formalities of such a transaction would
entail.

Peter Fischer