[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "von" in name

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 4 10:15:55 PDT 2005

At 09:56 AM 04/04/2005, Susan Greer wrote:
>My grandpa briefly mentioned to mom once that he was related to all the
>wealthy businessmen in Lodz and they had the title von der Goltz or von
>Goltz.  But for some reason his family sold their title.  So they became
>just Goltz and supposedly the rest of the family kept the title.  She
>doesn't remember anything else and has nothing to back this up.  I have no
>time frame either.  Does this sound possible?  Were records kept of people
>selling their names or possibly their nobility?  Will I be able to research
>this and tie it in to my genealogy?

I cannot comment on the wealth or nobility aspect of this since I have no
experience.  However, a GOOGLE for Goltz +Lodz reveals that in 1939 there
was a v.d.Goltz Strasse (von der Goltz Street) in Lodz.  Outside of the
German occupation, it was known as Gorna Street.

You may need to be careful, however, about the historical connotation for
that.  For example, General Fieldmarshall Freiherr v.d. Goltz was the
German Governor General of Belgium during WW I as well as troop leader on
the Turkish front.  The street could be named after him.

At the very least, you can confirm that there indeed was a von der Goltz
family.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca