[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] surnames ending in ski

Guenther Boehm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Apr 4 13:14:02 PDT 2005

Jerry Frank schrieb:

 >I believe that the "...ske" ending is not connected as it is a Germanic
 >ending - Jeske, Ganske, etc. though I suppose, in some cases,
especially in
 >North America, it may have been modified from an "...ski" ending as is
the
 >case with a U.S. variant of my Girschewski family - Geschefske.

Tat's right. Because the sufix -ski is unstressed, it was changed in the
German spelling to -ske. But of course it is of Slavonic origin.

The -sky suffix is in its majority of Czech origin since it was and
still is the official spelling (like V instead of W). Regarding Russian
and Ukrainian, it is just the English transcription of the Cyrillic
original which turns the -kij to -ky (in German we spell TSCHAIKOWSKI
instead of the English TCHAIKOVSKY).

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany