[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname Equivalent

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 19 14:20:54 PDT 2005

Thank you Jan and to all who have replied so far.

You are correct of course.  In these Lodz records I am working on, Erle and Elsner could well be the same person because of tremendous number of name spelling variations.
    I have this fellow Karl Krempf, printer, age 50 when he married Karoline Theophile Olschewske (Olszewski). age 27, in August 1846.  In December 1846 Karl, the printer, became a father but his wife is given as Theophile Elsner (time does fly)).  It MUST be the same woman but the name is the problem.  How many Theophiles can a 50 year old man marry??   8>)

John Marsch

  John,

  The Polish surname is probably Olszewski (not Olschweski).  It is possibly
  derived from Olsza (Olcha), meaning alder, or Olszyna, meaning alder wood or
  alder forest.  The German word for alder is Erle.  I don't know if that is
  close enough for Elsner.

  Jan