[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Patzer; was Re: Surname Equivalent

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 21 07:33:00 PDT 2005

At 06:50 AM 21/04/2005, Cris Howe wrote:
>Does anyone know the origin of the name "Patzer"?   My daughter tells
>me this is the German word for "mistake"  or "goof."
>
>Cristine Howe, Trenton MI USA

The German verb "patzen" is to goof, bungle, or make a mistake.  I don't
know however that the surname necessarily follows from the verb.  For
example, there is a town in Germany called Patz so a person from that town
could be known as a Patzer.  Hence the surname could also be locational.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca