[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Cousins diverge, then converge 300 years later

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 13:42:47 PDT 2005

Interesting story Jerry. I wish I had data to back far enough that I could find 9th cousins. I have to settle for 4th cousins and putative 5th cousins right now.

But I have a similar story. I have lived in Maryland since 1981 and since that time I have known someone quite well from my church. His last name is Hersey. About 6 years ago his father visited a relative who had compiled some information on their roots. From this point they discovered that my friend's great grandparents immigrated from eastern Poland and their name was really Hirsekorn, but got changed to Hersey for simplicity for the Americans. My friend had his complete Hirsekorn pedigree going back to his gg-grandparents in the early 1800s.

One gg-grandmother was Karoline Krueger. All of this was a shock to my friend and thinking that my ancestral tree was from Germany he said there was no way we could be related since his ancestors came from Poland near Chelm. This immediately struck my interest as I told him that is precisely where my ancestry stems from for the last 3 generations.

Since that time I took up a greater interest in genealogy. I quickly realized Kruegers come a dime a dozen and it was not until later around 1870 when my Kruegers moved to the Chelm area. But my interest was sparked again when I realized his ancestors lived in Michelsdorf, the oldest German colony of this region. My research showed that some of my ancestors also lived in Michelsdorf from the outset of Lutherans developing this town. From the research of another SGGEE member with ancestral roots in Michelsdorf (who turns out be a 2nd cousin of my friend's father) a map was established showing where the different families lived. It turns out that my Wolski gg-grandparents lived right next to my friend's gg-grandparents.