[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 11th International FEEFHS Conference this week, St. Paul, MN

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Sun Aug 14 06:25:15 PDT 2005

The Host Committee for the 11th International Conference of the
Federation of East European Family History Societies (FEEFHS)
looks forward to welcoming to Minnesota this week numerous experts on
various subjects related to central and eastern European family
history.

We feel blessed to have speaking commitment from over 50 experts,
including Bill Remus, Gary Cohen, Joe Amato, Larry Jensen, Kahlile
Mehr, Thom Edlund, Sonja Hoeke-Nishimoto, Dee Semon, Matthew Bielawa,
Duncan Gardiner, Lisa Alzo, Zella Mirick, Kathleen LaBudie-Szakall,
Irmgard Hein-Ellingson, Marsha Gustad, Dick Benert, Jerry Frank, John
Radzilowski, Earl Schultz, Ed Brandt, Tom Rice, David Suderrmann, and
Brian Podoll.

Over 90 sessions include a wide variety of topics, from deciphering
records in several languages, using maps, general understanding of
nationalities and local and regional history, to researching in
specific regions and countries, travelogues, and using technnology
including the Internet, palm devices, and DNA analysis.  Two sessions
provide first person narratives detailing factors that influenced
European "resettlement" in the 20th Century.  Banquets on Friday and
Saturday evening provide opportunity to hear additional speeches,
socialize and network.

Affiliation and networking remains one of the primary methods for
advancing one's family history research, and attending a conference is
a prime way to jumpstart one's research and scale those brick walls
that have impeded research progress.

Vendors will also participate in this conference, so bringing along an
additional suitcase is advised if you'd like to capitalize on this
opportunity to supplement your research library or purchase books,
maps, and items for gift giving.  The program includes several
published authors that might oblige autograph seekers, and the vendors
include a book dealer with one of the best collections of local and
regional history in the Midwest.

Conference co-sponsors are the Germanic Genealogy Society (GGS) and the
The Society for German Genealogy in Eastern European (SGGEE).

The full program and schedule, with information on most presenters,
can be found at the website of co-sponsor GGS at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnggs/FEEFHS.html

And Bill, if you're booked at the Sheraton in Minneapolis, you're in
the wrong place, because the conference hotel is the Four Points by
Sheraton St. Paul CAPITOL in Saint Paul on 400 North Hamline Avenue
just north of Interstate 94 near Concordia University.

Late registrations are still being accepted for the conference, and
hotel reservations can be requested by calling the hotel at 651 603
5603.

Saint Paul Mayor Randy Kelly has declared Friday August 19 will be
"Eastern and Central European History Day" in Saint Paul in honor of
the first day of this three day conference (19-21 August) with
speakers, authors, and attendees from Canada, Europe, and the United
States gathering to celebrate and  preserve their heritage and share
and exchange knowledge, culture and history.

Nancy Gertner
Member, host committee