Fw: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] surname SEL(L)INGER Ger-Poland-VolhyniaDigest,

BobF bfand at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 17 20:57:03 PST 2005

There was a Selinger line that had moved into Plock in the early
1800s that had earlier come from Neu Dresden, Osternberg, Brandenburg.
My gg grandmother was Karolina Selinger born 1851. Her family of Selingers
were Baptists.
Having grown up being taught phonics, I tried pronouncing it as Sell in ger
when I first saw it written and was told they pronounced it with a long A
sound
and a soft g . The way my grandmother pronounced it sounded  like  Say ling
ir.

Bob