[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynian settlers in Friedensfeld, Manitoba

Peter Schmaltz pschmaltz at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 10:08:22 PST 2005

I am looking for information on SCHMALTZs who emmigrated to Manitoba from
Volhynia around 1898. Rose Ingram kindly provided me with a copy of a few
relevant pages of Felix Kuehn's family records of the original GR villages
of Manitoba that lists Heinrich Schmaltz and his family, as well as
mentioning he died Nov. 18, 1901 in Friedensfeld. I am interested in
confirming this as well as possibly learning more about where Heinrich was
born and his parents' names.

Based on background information about the Lutheran church in Friedensfeld
found on http://www.mts.net/~afiebelk/1900-03.htm I contacted St. Paul's
Lutheran Church regarding church records, but their archives only go back to
1903. I have ordered copies of cemetery transcriptions from the Manitoba
Genealogical Society and hope I will find something once those arrive. I've
looked at the online Manitoba Vital Statistics website for 'registered
deaths' and found nothing.

Does anyone know where I might find church records for the Peace Lutheran
Church from Friedensfeld around 1900-1903? Do records exist from this
period, or are Felix Kuehn's notes perhaps the only surviving source?