[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish or Ukrainian Volhynia

Richard A. Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Tue Mar 8 21:21:21 PST 2005

Hi Kristen,

I will give you a brief answer to your question.  All through the 1800's
Volhynia was a province of Russia.  Much of Poland, referred to as Congress
Poland, was also incorporated into Russia.  After WW I, Poland gained its
independence.  A war between Poland and Russia followed.  The subsequent
peace treaty established new boundaries between Poland and Russia.  The
boundary more or less divided Volhynia in half along a north-south line a
little east of Rovno.  The portion lying in Poland is referred to as Polish
Volhynia; the portion lying in Russia is referred to as Russian Volhynia.
At the start of WW II in 1939, all of Volhynia again came under Russian
control.  It is now in Ukraine.

I hope this helps.

Dick Stein