[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GRAVE STONE TRANSLATION

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 06:29:20 PST 2005

I would like to thank everyone (10) who provided a translation. I'm curious
that 3 of the translations inferred that they were soldiers. Imkampfe is not
in my German-English dictionary. The only word for soldiers is soldaten.
Also 2 translators said that the inscription suggests they actually died in
the cemetery. Below are the translations I received.

                                        Mike

1. In the battle for their country fell and quiet here are 16 brave Germans

2. In the defense of their country 16 gallant Germans died and are at rest
>here.

3. In defence of their homeland, 16 heroes fell and are buried here

4. In the fight for their fatherland fell and rest here 16 German
heroes.

5. Killed in action for their fatherland and resting here (are) 16 valiant
German soldiers.

6. In the struggle/fight for their native country 16 German brave
[warriors/soldiers] have been killed and lie here.

7. Killed in action for their country (father land)
and resting here are 16 brave Germans.

8. Killed in action for their fatherland and resting here (are) 16 valiant
German soldiers

9. Here rest 16 courageous Germans who fell in the fight for their
fatherland."

10. In the fight for their fatherland fell and rest here 16 German
heroes.