[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EZAB doing business with

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike at bellatlantic.net
Sat Sep 17 11:00:32 PDT 2005

I have had a series of exchanges with an archivist, Christiane Hinz, at EZAB
during the past month. Interestingly I would email her and receive a letter
a few days later. The final letter below was translated by Henry Brodersen.
I think it may be useful for list members.
 							Mike

Dear Mr. McHenry,

Enclosed you will find the three copies you requested.

The main duty of our Church Book Department is to furnish people, who came
from the formerly eastern areas of Germany, and who, during the WW II lost
all their personal identification, with substitute documents. These are
based on the existing church books entries and are accepted as legitimate
proof for the preparation of family books as well as for pension- and
inheritance claims.

Applications for more comprehensive researches are at this time not
acceptable, due to time restrictions.

Normally we recommend in cases such as yours to either do your own research
in our reading room or to engage a professional genealogist.

The entries in the church books of the research area of Leipe/Rippin are
either in the German, Polish or Russian language. Unfortunately, we do not
know anyone who would accept orders for this area (due to the languistic
difficulties).

If you wish, you could make an informal inquiry in January 2006 to determine
if our time restriction have eased sufficiently to allow us to search for
marriage entries. We would not search for death entries.

We are charging you Euro$ 28.00 (½ hr. search- and processing time @ Euro$
21.00, 3 uncertified copies @ Euro$ 1.00 plus postage) and ask you to
transfer it to the following bank account:

KD-Bank eG - Die Bank fuer Kirche und Diakonie

BIC : GENODED1DKD HST 1311/151105HZ

IBAN: DE81 3506 0190 1511 1110 10

Please do not send a cheque. The charges for cheques in the international
banking transactions are unusually high and bear no relation to the amount
shown.

(Due to the high bank charges some clients pay by enclosing cash in the
envelope).

                    Mike